Email Me
jes (AT) beautyfromchaos (DOT) com

Site menu:

Recent Posts

Recent Comments



Site search


Site Meter

28 weeks 4 days

I just realized the last time I blogged was when we found out Hosanna was a girl and we were sharing her name. Sorry, I’m a slacker. I’m sure it has nothing to do with chasing three kids around and trying to keep the house clean. Honest, I’m just lazy.

A lot has happened in the past week and a half, and I’ve started to write this blog about three times, but I really don’t know where to begin.

I’ll start with a quick explanation since it’s been so long since I updated you! I have a very rare antibody in my blood, I had it with my last pregnancy and it caused no complications (that we know of) aside from it taking a long time to find blood I could use when I needed a transfusion.

I switched doctors for this pregnancy, because I wasn’t too happy with the last office I used. looking back now, I know it was all God’s hand. The antibody showed up on the routine antibody screenings that they do to all pregnant women, and after a few weeks and a few different labs working on my blood they came up with the antibody, and the doctor I was seeing decided he wanted to send me to a specialist to have a special ultra sound done, as well as to meet with genetic counselors. I figured he was paranoid since we had no issues with the last pregnancy, but I did as he suggested.

That initial appointment went well, and the specialist said there were no known cases of this antibody affecting the child so we didn’t have anything to worry about. A few days later I got a call from my doctor saying they wanted to do weekly ultra sounds starting in June to keep track and watch Hosanna. I wasn’t sure about it all, because it would mean driving an hour away every week. I was planning on asking another doctor’s opinion. Two days later the specialist called and said he had still been digging around and researching and after talking to his colleagues they all wanted me back up there ASAP for another ultra sound to check a few more things.

Monday the 14th i had my appointment, he didn’t like what he saw and decided I should go to Charlottesville where they could do a blood transfusion on Hosanna. Pretty much what they thought was happening was that my antibody was crossing the placenta and Hosanna’s body was killing off all the red blood cells, making her anemic.
The next day we packed up a bag, planning to have an over night stay in the hospital and drove the 3.5 hours to Charlottesville. They did an ultra sound but didn’t want to do the procedure because they didn’t have the right kind of blood, they gave me a steroid shot, and made an appointment to get another steroid shot at the hospital closer to me, as well as another ultra sound Friday at the original specialists office.

There was mention that if things looked worse they could deliver her by the end of the week. We didn’t think that would happen.

Friday morning we dropped the kids off at a friend’s house and headed to Roanoke to have an ultra sound done. The doctor and colleagues felt delivery was the best option at that point, before she got any more fluid in her abdomen, brain or around her heart. He immediately sent us to Labor and Delivery for a C-section. I got admitted to L&D, got an iv started and hooked up to monitors to watch Hosanna’s heart rate. They planned on a 4pm c section. The next few hours was a blur of doctors coming in and out explaining all sorts of things about the operation as well as the NICU and what to kinda expect with Hosanna.

At 3pm they decided that they would hold off until 9am, in order to get some blood there for me just in case I needed it. That meant two things to me, #1- I finally got food, and #2- more time to lay in the uncomfortable bed thinking about everything that could happen. We then started the long night of trying to sleep while being continually monitored on the uncomfortable L&D bed. I passed out around 11 ish, and slept until 2. From then on I was pretty much awake.

Saturday May 19, 2012 just 28 weeks and 4 days into my pregnancy.  I got up and took a shower and then we waited while doctors were in and out again, until around 10 when they got to start the procedure. I was nervous about the spinal as well as the c-section, but when I got in the OR , they continued to talk to me through everything and I calmed down a bit. Everything went awesome, I had no extra bleeding, and Hosanna looked good.

She was born at 10:23am, weighing 3lbs and was 14.75” long. I didn’t get to see much of her at all, because they had to make sure they got her stabilized. They took her to the NICU, and Eugene followed as they stitched me up and cleaned me off then brought me into recovery.

They ran a bunch of tests on her, and found her lungs weren’t as good as the initially thought, but the drs were not concerned. They gave her some medicine to stretch her lungs so she’d be able to breath better and also started caffeine stimulants to help remind her brain to breath.

They also had to run the IV to her belly button because her blood kept clotting when they were trying to draw blood. They also put a tube down her throat to help her breath. By the time we headed to bed Saturday night they had done one blood transfusion and were going to start another one, she was also under bili lights to help get her jaundice down. We headed to bed around 11, completely exhausted and trying our best to relax and know Hosanna is in good hands in the NICU.

A week later and she is off the breathing tube, she just has a cpap. She’s getting a pic line and the two umbilical tubes out of her right now. They started giving her some momma milk yesterday, just a few ML at a time to see how she tolerates it.  So far she’s doing pretty good with that. She’s also down to just one bili light, and her blood levels seem to be stable (after three transfusions).

We are staying in the Ronald McDonald house, the three big kids are with my family camping for the weekend, then they will be back here and we will try to adjust to life in one room.  I am sure the next few months are going to be a little challenging, but I know we’ll get through it. God has worked out every little detail and i continue to see His hand on even the little things each day.


Comment from Tracy
Time June 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm

I just happened on this blog and have read about your precious baby girl. I also read the previous post about choosing her name and was wowed by the fact that the most basic meaning of her name is “save, please” and that you knew it was to be her name before all this came to be. His hand is on her. I will add her to my prayers.

Comment from solve quadratic equation calculator
Time April 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Hi there everyone, it’s my first visit at this website, and post is truly fruitful in favor of me, keep up posting these articles.

Comment from Natalie
Time April 25, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Hi I am so happy I found your website, I really found you by accident, while
I was looking on Askjeeve for something else,
Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a tremendous post
and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the awesome job.

Comment from Tosha
Time April 24, 2014 at 9:01 am

My family all the time say that I am wasting my time here at web, except I know I am getting know-how daily by reading
such nice posts.